Friday, May 17, 2013

Lotus Vegetarian Northbridge


Recently, I visited Lotus restaurant in Northbridge for a dinner with MatKat (i.e. Matt and Kat). I was under the illusion I had never been to this restaurent so I wanted to try it. When I arrived I had flash backs to when I first visited Perth in 2007 for a conference, and most nights we went for eats in Northbridge, since it was a conference I am sure we were a little drunk at the time, hence the hazy memory. The owner told me the restaurant has been there for 15 years.  The menu contains the typical asian mock meat meals, except in comparison to Utopia which is just up the street all the meals are vegan. For this reason, I definately prefer Lotus, but it does have less ambience than Utopia. I had read some reviews about this place, that described the boss as a real 'boss', and this was true there was no point arguing about where you wanted to sit, and if she recommends the special you'd better take it! No I am kidding a bit, I didnt find her grumpy at all, I just probably wouldnt have ordered the special fried mushrooms but it appears she does have that power over some people (i.e. Matt). The only problem with this restaurant is the atmosphere, I wouldnt recommend going here on a date. We had trouble getting a ice bucket for the wine, and the glasses were, well not very clean. Besides that the food was nice, and I would definately go back. Adjacent to the restaurant is a store crowded with freezers containing mock meat goodies. For some reason, I bought popcorn chicken - I dont even know what popcorn chicken is, I often buy this stuff for the freezer then hardly ever cook it. I will eat that chicken soon I promise. Not all the goods in the store are vegan so read the ingredients.
We choose a range of things to share including the special fried mushrooms, note its always good to get a plate of greens to balance out all the fried gluten 'meats'



Some fried things to start, chicken drumsticks and samosa's



Szechuan chicken - I shouldnt have tried to eat one of these chillis. Was yummy though and I cannot go past a sizzling plate
Tofu claypot, this was a hit, claypot is always a winner

http://members.iinet.net.au/~yongcorp/

 

No comments:

Post a Comment